Xerox Star Questions
Historical perspective - Xerox Star by Johnson
- What was the key target persona for the Xerox Star?
- What are the key technologies that made Xerox Alto/Star possible?
- Give the advantage/disadvantage of time-shared systems and stand-alone PC. What did Xerox do to take advantage of these two apparently different types of systems.
- Provide several examples in which users studies were used to make decisions about the final design.
- What are the key aspect of the Desktop Metaphor? How does it differ from the a simpler windows based interface? What are the key elements that make the metaphor work?
- Why are modes considered harmful in interface design? How could Star avoid the use of modes? In what situations should the modes be allowed?
- How does the progressive disclosure strategy works? Give specific examples. Which persona will benefit most from progressive disclosure?
- What is the Tool metaphor? Why and how did the Star system departed from it? What metaphor is used in Windows XP or Mac OS X?