Application Presentations and Web Page
Application Report (to be done in pairs): (Proposal due September 20, 2012 Thursday noon, Project due: October 5, 2012 Friday 9am)
Use an existing software tool, such as Spotfire, Tableau, QlikView, HCE, TimeSearcher, Treemap, or NodeXL to thoroughly explore a data set of your choice. Report what you found in the form of three headlines that highlight key features, insights, and significant findings. Present 3-6 informative displays (be sure to include legends, make labels readable, and write thoughtful captions) and write 500-1000 words explaining what you have found. Include your name, email address, date, and affiliation. Please describe the data sets you use, indicating number of items and attributes, as well as the source and URL. Critique the tools you used, describing positive aspects, problems you encountered, and suggestions for improvements.
Your proposal (due by email to email@example.com on September 20, 2012 Thursday noon) should give a title, the names/emails of the two team members, what software you plan to use, and a few sentences describing the data you will use, plus its source. Your Application Report teammate should be different from your team mates for your Semester Project.
Reports are due with links to documents on the page (below) by class time October 5, 2012 Friday 9am.
Return to Syllabus
Application Project Teams
- Who is Likely to be Healthy in the United States?: Mossaab Bagdouri, Chris Musialek (Spotfire, HCE)
- Disparities in Poverty, Life Expectancy and Healthcare Services: Allan Fong, Brendan Fruin (Spotfire)
- Medical Insurance, Emergency Room Visits and Quality of Health: Zahra Ashktorab, Panagis Papadatos (Spotfire, Tableau)
- Digging Into Cancer Factors: Hanseung Lee, Juan Morales (Spotfire, Tableau)
Understanding Complex Processes
- Analysis on Mine Accident Injuries Dataset: Rongjian Lan, Yulu Wang
- D.C. Flight Data Analysis: Szu-Chieh Chen (Jessie), Hua He, Jianyu Li
- Weather-Related Delay Analysis at Harstfield Jackson International Airport: Samet Ayhan, Scott Abromowitz (Spotfire, Tableau)
- Evaluating Traffic Data: Alison Smith, Mike Szaszy
- Examining indicators that influence unemployment in recent years: Shaojie (Jeffrey) Li, Florin Chelaru
- Analysis of Science and Technology Development Across the World from 1995 to 2010: Fan Yang, Sheng Zha (Spotfire, Tableau)
- Economic Return on Education in the OECD: Kazi Minhazur Rahman (Tableau, Spotfire, Excel, Illustrator)
- In Search of Gold: A Comparative Study of National Statistics Versus Olympic Performance: Philip C. Dasler, Sana Malik (Spotfire)
- Visualizing the Stack Exchange Community: Johnny Wu, Raj Zachariah (Spotfire, NodeXL)
- Visualize the Effect of Test Suite and Fault Characteristics on Coverage and Detection of Faults: Bryan (Dung) Ta, Chenglin Chen