How To Start the Project
From CMSC 420
- Download the updated JAR file: cmsc420util.jar
- Download all given input and output files:
- Read the spec (several times if necessary) and take note of important details
- Start a new project in Eclipse (or your favorite IDE)
- Add the external JAR file in Eclipse: Right-click on your new project->Properties->Java Build Path->Libraries tab->Add External JAR. To add the source and javadoc, click the plus sign and attach them.
- Download the project starter file if there is one. This link is from Spring 2017.
- Add the project starter file: Right click your project, choose Import, then Archive File, browse to the starter archive, MeeshQuest.java file. Finish. Alternatively create your own class and paste the text into it.
- Download XmlCompare plugin for Eclipse.
- In Eclipse, Help->Software Updates->Find and Install
- Search for new features to install
- Check Eclipse Project Updates, Finish
- Under Eclipse Project Updates, find the version you are running (Help|About), check Eclipse SDK Examples
- Next, accept, Next, Finish, (wait), Install All
- Restart Eclipse
- (Note: this installs lots of unwanted crud, and ate my line:col statusbar display; to fix it, exit Eclipse, go into $HOME/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse/plugins and delete everything you didn't ask for)
- To use: select two .xml files in the Navigator, right click, compare with->each other
- Once you have everything set up, go through the spec and think about what classes you will need and how they will interact with each other. Some suggestions: draw it out on a whiteboard/ paper or create empty classes with names in your IDE as you go through and then later fill in the classes with everything they need. Once you have a good idea of what to do start coding! Good luck!